In the woodworking industry, there are a number of tools that you need to be prepared for your projects. From levels to power tools to smaller items like hammers and drills, the list can get pretty long. One important tool that you should consider is the best woodworking square.
The thing is you can’t just go grab any old woodworking squares. You would be surprised that there are some options out there that simply aren’t the best when you need them. There is an overwhelming number of options out there as well so you can quickly feel like you are in over your head, dizzy with all of the woodworking squares, and still no idea which ones are actually good options or not.
The good news is we can help! We’ve sorted through the options to find you the very best to try square for your woodworking needs. The best woodworking square choices can easily vary depending on your needs so we’ve put together a comprehensive list of top-rated woodworking squares complete with woodworking square review details to provide you with a range of value and a variety of options to choose from.
In this guide, we will cover the best woodworking square in detail and then you can use that information to make an informed choice what to try squares for woodworking and more!
Top Rated Woodworking Squares
As you look through the best square woodworking option for woodworkers, keep your needs and other preferences in mind to make a decision. Whether you’re looking for something metal or products that promise accuracy, we’ve got you covered. Your angles are important, as is everything else on your woodworking projects so watch for multiple model options and then stay tuned for a buying guide with some essential elements that could make a difference as well.
1. Best Overall Woodworking Square –Starrett 10H-6-4R Cast Iron Square Combination Square
This Starrett 10H-6-4R Cast Iron Square Combination Square is the best square for woodworking overall in our books. It’s one of the most accurate woodworking square products out there and the fact that it is a combination square is something we also appreciate in terms of best woodworking squares. This combination square is a product that offers you a reliable menu of functionality from handle to line and everything in between.
This square is a good value for the money. The precision is well rounded and this is one of the most highly rated wood squares you will find on the market. Starrett seems to get it right with the angles with this one.
The length is about 6 inches and the price relates back to the material used from end to ends. This is a cast iron square from the shop of qualifying purchases and woodworking tools. The markings are clear and concise as squares should be. The square blade is accurate and hardened. The handle has a reversible lock bolt so you can turn this over and work from end to ends with the same device to match any length you need.
Starrett is a well-known name in the squares industry. From framing square choices to a heavy duty tool like the combination squares you see here. Make sure you take a closer look at this woodworking tool as it is one for the books and is the best woodworking squares 1/16 and more on our list.
- Precise 90 degree accuracy
- Variety of measurements on the blade from 1/8, 1/16 to 1/64
- Markings are simple and easy to read
- Combination square offers versatility
- Cast Iron head for long lasting woodworking square use
- The materials of the lock make it challenging to lock down
Why We Like It: This Starrett woodworking square makes it to the top of our list because it is well made and easy to read. With reliable markings and reviews, the accuracy of the Starrett squares really stands out on the menu. This one is well worth the price and certainly deserves the chance to be there for your needs.
2. Budget Choice – Irwin Tools Combination Square
Next up, we have an Irwin Tools Combination Square that comes to you at a budget friendly price. This simple square is a very nicely made woodworking square that is great for a novice or an experienced woodworkers. This square set offers a sleep stainless steel blade and accurate readings and markings. The handle also has a bubble level within it, which is always a nice addition to these tools.
Irwin is a known name and these 12 inch combination squares are a reliable tool, especially considering the fine price range. The body is not steel but rather a durable cast zinc material combined with the steel blade. The length gives you plenty of room to work with in the shop.
This has incredible value as a product and it offers both precision and other relevant product features that all of the best woodworking squares should have. This is great for 90 degree or 45 degree markings so you can make sure your angles are right on target.
Apart from being a reliable woodworking square, you have a stainless steel blade, precision you can count on, a bubble level for speed square efforts, and a full 12 inch tool blade for plenty of length. This one gives you price and values that some models simply won’t offer.
- Irwin products are reliable for the right price
- 12 inch length
- Stainless steel on the blade
- Reliable handle with a bubble level attached
- Simple tool with good length and material
- If you remove the blade from the handle, it can be challenging to put back together
- Some of the edges feel a bit sharp to the touch
Why We Like It: The Irwin Tools combination square is a great option for try squares as a woodworking square. This one has a budget friendly price and can be suitable for even heavy duty work. Whether you need 6 inch or 12 inch, you’re covered by the blade and the markings are accurate and reliable.
3. iGaging Double Square Set
Next up is a double square set that is really awesome from the iGaging Double Square Set selection. These two squares provide you with a woodworking square for every instance. From an aluminum handle to a chrome blade and reliable markings so that you can make sure your work is precise when you put these tools to the test.
With this double square set, you can rely on the two squares to provide you with accurate markings that are very easy to understand and read. They are clear and concise on the blade. This double square set is made to US Standard and Accuracy Squareness requirements and also comes with one storage case to protect your product.
This set comes at a good price compared to other similar model choices. The blades are made with hardened chrome metal material on this one and the handle is simple. It’s no hardwood handle but these woodworking squares certainly offer reliable length and accuracy like the name is known for.
Each line is precise on each tool blade so you never have to worry whether your line is off or not. The handle is adjustable and the larger try square has a bubble in it as well so you can put this one to great use and then some.
- A quality tool with reliable material
- Made with chrome metal instead of steel or wood
- Handle on one has a bubble in it
- Each line offers accuracy and precision
- Double set model woodworking squares
- The head can be hard to slide and adjust
- While the markings are precise and clear, some of the line colorings reduces visibility
Why We Like It: If you’re looking for a set, these woodworking squares are very nice and coordinate well together. Each try square is reliable and precise, providing you with a quality tool to maneuver with wood or steel or any other product. Your angles and your markings will scream of accuracy with this model.
4. Swanson Tool Co 7-Inch Speed Square
If you’re looking for a Swanson Tool Co 7-Inch Speed Square model, we’ve got you covered with a traditional square, that is really a triangle. We say that all in fun, this type of square is a classic product. You don’t have to mess with a handle or a blade, you just line it up on your wood and go. With this model, you get a try square, miter square, line scriber, protractor, and saw guide all in one product.
You can rely on the precision of your angles for accuracy and the material is also great for the tool. These tend to come at a pretty great price as well so that’s always a nice bonus. This model has been in creation since 1925. It has always been an essential product and will continue to be such.
This particular model comes with a Swanson blue book so you know exactly how to use it and even the best way to understand the tool for various uses and angles. This steel tool is known by name and it certainly won’t let you down when you need angles and precision plus quick accuracy from your product.
You will find that this has cutouts and all of the variations of measurements for all of the most popular uses. No fighting with a handle but you still get quality steel and quality precision that you rely on from this type of product. In fact, you might even get more feasibility with this one tool than you do with many others.
- Speed triangle model tool
- No handle to contend with
- Comes with a Swanson blue book comprehensive guide
- Steel materials for long lasting use
- A high quality tool with a promising price
- The steel is not smooth to the touch
- The lettering imprinting is crude and not well done for the brand or price
Why We Like It: In terms of squares, this tool is a classic staple. While it doesn’t have 1/8 measurements for you as part of the blade, these squares give you all of the angles to move quickly and effectively. It’s a quality stainless steel woodworking square that can replace your try square among other things.
5. Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools Mini Square
A Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools Mini Square can be a best solution to have on hand for your woodworking square needs as well. While you might not find these in stainless steel with a hardwood handle or some other material. These make great carpenter tool solutions as a square because they are lightweight and very easy to use without a hardwood handle or even a bulky stainless steel blade.
This particular square is made with high quality aluminum rather than stainless steel. It is miniature in size so it might not replace your try square or be ideal for every woodworking square situation you find yourself in. It is best to be fully prepared for any task and this square just offers some additional functionality and versatility for your toolbox.
The Woodpecker mini square uses a 1 1/8 inch by 2 inch dimension with a 90 degree angle. It’s great for edges and cutting purposes, rather than working with blade. You can also use it in conjunction with other squares.
This is made in the USA and is also covered by a lifetime warranty. While our review is not geared towards it, this brand has a full-sized steel square that is incredibly possible, which you can find here.
- High quality brand that uses intuitive designs for their squares
- Made with lightweight aluminum rather than steel
- No blade or handle to contend with
- Pocket-sized mini square solution
- Square is made in the USA and covered by a lifetime warranty
- Since this square is mini, it might have more limited usage
- A few users think this square is overpriced for what it is, simply because of brand name
Why We Like It: Woodpecker is a quality brand and their squares have always stood out in the industry. While this is no steel square, it provides a bit of versatility and usefulness in its own way. It’s built for longevity and ingenuity and that is a best quality for a woodworking square.
Best Hand Saws In 2021 – Reviews & Buyers Guide
Looking for a hand saw? In this guide, we will share the best hand saw on the market and provide you with detailed reviews!
Woodworking Square Buyer’s Guide
Now that we’ve shared a few of our favorite woodworking square choices with you, let’s talk about what you might want to keep in mind as you look for the best option for you. There are a lot of different details to keep in mind, so we created a buying guide to provide you with insight and other useful material to make an informed decision along the way.
One of the guiding principles of choosing your woodworking square will be precision. A try square or any other type of square is only as good as its accuracy. If you can’t rely on the accuracy of your decision, it’s a complete waste of your money.
After all, aren’t you using a try square or another square type in order to ensure accuracy on your project?
If the blade can’t provide you with precise and accurate markings and angles, it defeats the purpose of using squares with your use. You should allow yourself to be very picky and particular about this detail and look for a precision rating to understand the square in question.
Next up, let’s talk about materials. This is vital but it is also something that you may simply not be picky about. A lot of squares out there use things like stainless steel for the blade and this is certainly one of the most popular solutions and one we can get on board with.
There are other metal solutions that can fit nicely as well. While stainless steel is sleek and shiny, it can be rough around the edges so a few makers choose to use aluminum or even cast iron rather than stainless steel.
Whether you’re looking a try square or another square, it doesn’t have to be stainless steel to be a good square. You simply want it to be smooth and consistent and preferable not fall apart the first time you use it.
Next up, the blade will make a difference. While not all blades will look like the try square or combination square, these are what you will use for your markings and measurements. This is the metal or stainless steel that you will really want to watch for.
You also want to check out how it’s marked and the readability. You want to be able to easily adjust the handle on the blade and be able to see your blade detail easily when you need it. This is the piece of the tool that will guide you through whatever you might be using it for.
Homemade Vs. Pre-Made Square
There are many recommendations out there for making your own square at home. While you can certainly attempt that just keep in mind it can be incredibly challenging. Do not take this on unless you are ready for the challenges to achieve both precision and accuracy with the task.
On the same note, it can be a fun challenge. Various studies and information reveal that professionally made squares tend to be more consistent in both accuracy and precision so if you decide to try to make one on your own, just be aware that this is a risk you will be taking.
Either square can be a great solution but if you want the most reliable accuracy, we recommend a professional solution.
We think you’ll like: Popular Tools Reviews and DIYs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Square for Woodworking?
We prefer the Starrett option, which you can find more about in our best overall choice in the reviews above. This one is an all-around optimal square with versatility and reliability. There are plenty of great selections out there to choose from as well.
What is the Best Combination Square?
Again, we will point you back to the best overall listing in our reviews here. Starrett is our favorite for a combination square but you can find some other great options as well. We also really like the Irwin model shared in the budget pick.
What Does Square Mean in Woodworking?
In woodworking, a square does not literally mean making a square but rather making your project square to an edge. It allows you to check this for accuracy but also to check your angles on the same note.
We hope that you find this guide to choosing a woodworking square to be a valuable and informative resource for the cause. There are so many different options out there and things to know that can drastically affect your choices. Keen in mind your own needs and know that versatility and price might have an impact on the ones that go with you.
Anything you find here will be a great solution!
If you’re not sure which type of square to start with, we recommend a combination square. These are versatile and give you a lot more functionality than some of the other types out there. You can mark various angles and lines and get to work easily.
Did You Know?
If you’re squaring a corner, the 3:4:5 rule might be a lifesaver. 3 feet of length on the straight line, 4 feet of length on the perpendicular line, and 5 feet of length across. You can use this same approach with other coordinating lengths as well.
- DURABLE >> Aluminum cast handle + 3 Milled surfaces for maximum precision
- VISIBLE >> Permanently etched stainless steel blade w/ Etched 1/16" gradations; The first 4 inches are incremented 1/32 for fine and accurate measurements
- CONVENIENT >> Hands-Free retractable metal ledge support
- WARRANTY >> 1 Year warranty w/ Receipt + Normal wear & tear
- Multiple Gradations: Gradations Included For Marking Common, Hip, Valley, And Jack Rafters. Useful For Determining And Marking Angles And Making Square Cuts On Boards.
- Features: Get More Bang For Your Buck With This Value Pack Of Two Of Our Best Selling Speed Squares
- Durable Material: Heavy-Gauge Billet Aluminum Alloy Construction Is Die-Cast For Increased Accuracy Versus Laser-Etched And Extruded Stamped Rafter Squares.
- Easy To Use: When Used As A Saw Guide, The Speed Square Makes Truing Up A Board Easy
- 【High Quality Material】90 degree positioning square made of high quality aluminium alloy with anodized surface to insures optimal durability and lightweight usability which will lasts for years.
- 【90 Degree Positioning Squares】3D woodworking ruler with clear scale in inches and millimeters for measuring length to positioning more accurate. Easy to carry, easy to operate and will not damage the edges. Suitable for wood, right angle of metal and 90 degree welding, etc.
- 【Easy to Use】L shaped corner clamp is easy to use. This unique woodworking tools can be clamped on both inside and outside corner of your work piece.The 90 degree right angle clamp is secured to your stock using either an F-Clamp (NOT INCLUDED) or a C-Clamp (NOT INCLUDED).
- 【Wide Application】Carpentry right angle jig set professional use to assemble and DIY by claping boxes, drawers, cabinets, frames, furniture cabinets, etc. Perfect for squaring up shelf cabinets. Maintain a perfect square while assembling frames, cabinets, or just about any box!
- 【What You Get】2 pcs Right Angle Ruler, Product size: Approx. 4.7 x4.7 x0.6inch. Our worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service .