Whether you are a beginning woodworker or perhaps someone that has been in the business for a lot of years, you quickly learn that woodworking clamps are an essential tool to have on hand. Wood clamps can lend a hand for many different parts of your work, like assembling, bonding, and even cutting. They offer security and a grip that you simply can’t achieve on your own while you work.
A woodworking clamp is a must-have and to really get the job done, you should have the best woodworking clamps available. Whether you just want quick grip clamps, C-clamps, face clamps, pipe clamps, or something else – we’ve got you covered.
We’ve scoured the market with intense research and testing to find the top rated woodworking clamps out there and we’re here to share with you our best woodworking clamps reviews in full detail. The table of contents reveals a number of quality options and they all are great types in their own ways. You might even find that you need several different types of best woodworking clamps in your toolbox.
Keep reading to learn all about the best woodworking clamps on the market and more!
Top Rated Woodworking Clamp Reviews
In this section of our guide, we will share with you our top choices with woodworking clamps review details that you need to make an informed decision for your best wood clamp needs.
The best clamps for you might be an f clamp, bar clamp, c clamp, pipe clamp, face clamp, or even a one handed option and you are sure to see an array of options here to choose from.
Let’s get started!
1. Best Overall: Jorgensen 2-Pack Medium Duty Steel Bar Clamp Set
This first woodworking clamp option is our best overall pick. Jorgensen is great for DIY projects as well as other uses. These clamps are the best overall for a number of reasons. You get a bar clamp pair here that is made with quality materials. These are 24 inch medium duty clamps that are easy to use and highly rated across the board.
If you’re really looking for top picks for woodworking tasks, look no further. With a throat depth of 14 inches and high quality steel for your projects, these items deliver. Your work pieces will be a breeze and the clamping force is ideal for style clamps as well.
This clamp type has a plated round edge and works like a steel ball and socket. They are not one handed clamps but the clamping power is reliable and you can make sure you have a sturdy, adjustable grip for your project.
The sliding head design lets you adjust these best clamps for your projects. You simply move the sliding head on these types of clamps and incur the clamping force and the throat depth needed. The handle is simple and the hold is secure and reliable for holding pieces together with just the right clamping pressure.
- Product made with high quality materials
- Clamp pads protect your project from clamping pressure
- Handscrew clamps with bar clamp design
- Perfect for the DIY project picture frames or more intense work
- Simple but efficient piece with quality metal steel design
- The piece is not meant for a supremely tight grip so the bar does have some flex
- The non marring pads don’t always stay on the clamp well
Why We Like It
When your project is light to medium duty, these top picks best wood clamping options really come through for you. The bar clamps are simple by design but also quite effective and easy to use. These bar clamps are steady and reliable as far as wood clamps go.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Woodworking Apron in 2022
2. Budget Pick Workpro 16-Piece Nylon Spring Clamp Set
If you need a reliable woodworking clamp option but need to keep your spending lower, this set is really great. Workpro tends to offer affordable solutions that are reliable. These clamps are the best for the price and they come in a bunch of different sizes and types. These are all spring clamps so you won’t have right angle or 90 degree options but you can still use this menu in a variety of different ways.
These simple spring clamps have a plastic handle that is reinforced with nylon materials so they are sturdy and durable. Each parallel jaw has non marring pads so your project will be protected from the clamping power. Whether you need an edge clamp or just something easy to use, you can rely on this clamp set.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Straight Edge Clamp in 2022
You get a total of 16 pieces that will even work for heavy duty use. While these clamp options certainly aren’t like your pipe clamps, they give you variety and versatility to hold your pieces together in the way it really counts. Whether you build picture frames or you work with resin construction, you can clamp up to a 6 inch hold with this product.
One of the nice things about these best woodworking clamps is they can be used one-handed. Make sure you adjust for a corner clamp or setting that you need and just apply the clamp one handed while you work. Simple and effective, which makes this one of the best options out there!
- Simple style clamps great for any project
- Multiple sizes for your needs
- Perfect for simplicity and versatility
- Good clamp power
- Comfortable and solid grip
- Some users had issues with the clamp feet not staying in place well
- The clamp feet sometimes slip if you leave them in place for thicker items
Why We Like It
Simplicity and versatility is a great combination for wood clamps. With these, you get both of those and you get it for an affordable price. We like that you have several different sizes and that these are easy to work with. They are reliable when you use them correctly.
3. Irwin Quick Grip Clamps Set, 8 Piece (IRHT83220)
The Irwin Quick Grip clamp set is another great reliable set. You get 3 different sorts of clamps, including the favored Handi Clamps from the brand. The clamp guide includes 4 F clamp styles, 2 C clamp styles, and 2 spring styles. The variety of F clamp, C clamp face clamp, and spring gives you plenty of versatility for your projects, from a reliable brand. The only thing you will be missing is an H style pipe clamp, right?
All of the clamps in this set, including the bar clamps, have quick release triggers so you can set them quickly and move them quickly as well. Each handle is comfortable and well made and that Irwin quick grip quick release remains a fan favorite. The face clamp is a nice bonus as well in this package.
This ratchet bar clamp has plenty of clamping power and the swivel pads are also reliable and stay on. You can easily guide each clamp to meet your needs and clamp more than a 6 inch radius with the product materials for the bar clamps as well as the face clamp.
The metal bras and the handle materials are all great and reliable. You get a decent throat depth, even with the simple spring clamps. These can even work just fine for some heavy duty use as well. The Quick Grip clamps make some of the best of woodworking clamps out there and Irwin has always been a reliable tool brand.
- Get bar clamps, c clamps face clamp, and spring style in one simple package
- Woodworking clamps that stay and hold
- Quick release materials for any project
- Covered by Irwin’s lifetime warranty coverage
- Reinforced metal for strength and durability
- The metal materials allow for tight clamping but there are still limitations
- Some users found that the bar clamp was all they used in the set
Why We Like It
These best woodworking clamps come through when you need them. A reliable brand and you get a set that has several clamp styles in it to meet a variety of project needs. You have throat depth and sturdy materials. Plus, it’s hard to beat that lifetime warranty coverage from Irwin.
4. Bessey BPC-H34 H Style Pipe Clamp
We can’t very well go through a product list for clamps without also sharing an H-Style pipe clamp with you. Bessey is a quality clamp brand so we chose to share one of their options here and we don’t think you will be disappointed. The Bessey H style pipe clamps are solid and reliable and really pretty affordable as well as far as pipe clamps go.
This pipe clamp design does have a cast iron jaw so you get the added heavy duty durability with the clamp. Bessey really got this product design right for a woodworking clamp. The foot assembly has your traditional H style shape, which gives you heavy duty stability in a clamp.
From there, the Bessey base is made to be extra high so you get plenty of work surface clearance as well for your projects. With cast iron materials, the jaw is built to last and it is capped with soft caps so your projects are well protected while you do the work you need to do.
The H style and the quality handle give you total control over your projects and keep the clamp in line. This handle works like a crank so you can tighten it to your needs and then crank the handle to loosen as well. This Bessey product is a woodworking clamp winner for sure.
- Solid heavy duty materials better than just a metal clamp
- Bessey heavy duty clamp quality
- H style with extra clearance for your work surface
- Work with metal and other materials
- Crank handle allows you to tighten and loosen as needed
- The clamp end cover is a bit flimsy and the metal starts to wear through if you aren’t careful
- The metal crank may take some work to turn
Why We Like It
This clamp is solid and built for the worthiest of projects. The woodworking clamps have stability and strength that any best woodworking clamps should have. You can control your projects with this product and it’s built to last you forever.
5. Camtoa Right Angle Clamp, 4 Pieces
Next up, the Camtoa Right Angle Clamp. Every workbench also needs a good right angle clamp set. There will be times when this product will suit your needs better than another product so keep in mind that while these are more limited than a C clamp or a bar clamp, this woodworking clamp has a special purpose as well. You should plan to have this type of clamp plus C clamp and bar clamp options!
If you’re looking for a good angle clamp, you’ve got it right here. These are budget-friendly and quite reliable for the task. This simple woodworking clamp is spring loaded and it can be multi functional as well.
These can handle different thicknesses and you get the full 4-piece set so you can handle 4 corners at one time if needed, or 4 angles for that matter. This adjust to a thickness from 3/16 of an inch to 3/4 of an inch, which should be sufficient for most angle and corner needs. You don’t need the thickness like a C clamp with this product style.
These are well-made and reliable but they are also very simple and easy to utilize. They are perfect for the DIY work and other types of woodworking projects as well. It’s a good option to have on hand and the best part is the company offers a satisfaction guarantee as well.
- High quality clamp option that is affordable
- Angle option for clamp versatility
- Spring loaded to help make the job easier
- 4 pieces so you have every corner and angle covered with a clamp
- Good thickness adjustment clamp sizing for projects
- Cannot easily be operated with one hand as described
- It’s unclear whether the spring is built to last
Why We Like It
While a C clamp and other types can handle many tasks, sometimes they aren’t designed for those angles. Every woodworking station should have a corner or angle solution for their projects and this product is it for us. With 90 degree functionality and no metal to contend with, it’s a solid clamp product for the task.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Woodworking Bench
6. Bora 24-Inch Parallel Clamp Set of 2
If you’re looking for a more premium solution for your projects, then Bora might just be right product for you. These are designed for the ultimate grip and can hold up to the pressure with a rock solid and even distribution of pressure over the entire clamp body.
This is your standard parallel or bar clamp design but with some modification that really can stand out against some of the competitor product selections. These are made to be strong and steady and you can see right away where they might be better suited if you really need an ultimate grip or need to apply grip pressure as well.
This clamp set will evenly distribute the pressure so that there isn’t just one area taking the brunt of it. This allows you get get it just right so it isn’t overly tight or loose in one space. This jaw clamp is rock solid and that is what they are known for.
This set is a 24-inch parallel set with usable space of 25 1/4 inches. The clamps can be used win conjunction with each other or individually, whatever your needs may be to take of your task at hand! These are simple to use and they can be used more aggressively than some product options.
- Parallel set with rock solid grip
- Distributes the pressure of the clamp motion
- Solid product suitable for heavier tasks
- 100 pounds of clamp pressure with just one clamp
- Strong and steady build with durable materials
- Some users did have issues with a little bit of slipping on some materials
- A little bit more expensive but the quality is there
Why We Like It
We like having a product option that lets you get the ultimate grip without worrying about the pressure. This is just what this parallel clamp set will do for you. With pressure distribution, you really can’t go wrong when you need both tight and functional to use.
7. Wen 10236F2 Quick Adjust Steel Bar Clamps, 2-Pack
Finally, we leave you with one more bar clamp option that you can depend on. Where some of these clamp sets have limitations with pressure, this is another that is built to be more sturdy and can handle the pressure. Wen is a good brand and this is a top choice on the market when it comes to clamp solutions.
We selected the 36-inch bar for our review here but just know that you can get the same exact clamp in a 6, 12, or 24 inch bar as well. They are all great and all made with the same materials so just choose what works best for you. 36 inches gives you just a little more working space overall.
This clamp set has a quick adjust design, which is really nice because sometimes you need to move quickly. You don’t need a button for release here but you can slide the pieces and adjust accordingly and know that it’s very easy overall.
This design even allows you to make miniscule adjustments so you get the precision you need with your clamp. There are pads to prevent any marring or scraping and scuffing and they stay on well. These F design clamps are strong and can manage a force of over 1200 pounds.
- Long, with a 36 inch steel bar
- Pack of 2 bar design clamps
- Sturdy and reliable with solid materials
- Quick release with extreme precision
- Powerful with over 1200 pounds of force
- The clamp pieces are slightly small and may take some getting used to
- Some users glued the protective feet on just to be sure they would stay
Why We Like It
It’s nice to have a clamp solution that really is as good as it proclaims to be and this option from Wen seems to be just that. More length, more stability, and quite easy to utilize to meet your needs. It’s solid and reliable and that says something for sure.
Woodworking Clamps Buyer’s Guide
Choosing the best woodworking clamps can require some though. The best woodworking clamps don’t always mean the same thing to every worker along the way. What is an important element to you for the best clamps may be quite different than another woodworking shop or person may need.
We all have best preferences and you can see that in the clamps you choose from and what you end up using in the end. Be sure to remember your needs and your preferences as you choose clamps to add to your toolbox.
We’ve put together a simple buyer’s guide just to provoke some thought and provide you with some additional information that may be helpful to you in the process.
The Clamp Power
This is important. While there are an array of sturdy clamps out there, that doesn’t mean that each one can manage your woodworking requirements the best. Keep in mind that some of these options are designed for simple DIY uses while others are designed for heavier use. This is an aspect you will want to pay attention to so you can get it right.
There are times that less is definitely more. In most projects, you don’t need as much pressure. You just need a strong and sturdy grip that you can adjust or adapt to your needs. Soft wood requires far less pressure than a hard wood might. If you are working with soft wood, you have to exert lighter pressure or you could easily damage the wood.
A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that for softwood, you want approximately 100-150 PSI. That means for each square inch, you want that range of pressure.
Hard wood on the other hand requires more pressure. It can withstand far higher pressure controls and in fact may need it. For hard wood, you can use 175-250 PSI to determine your clamping power needs. The goal is to get a good clamp without damaging the woodworking materials.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Drill Press for Woodworking
Next up, you probably need an array of sizes available to you. Different size options help you to be able to adjust to a variety of materials basically. If nothing else, at least choose clamps that allow you to adjust for a good range of sizes. You see this a lot in C-clamps and other styles like the H and F but it really is essential of just about any type of clamps you come across.
You might find that you need multiple sizes of clamps on hand. It’s always better to be prepared with everything you might need so equipping your clamps with a variety of sizes and even styles is really the best approach you can possibly take.
Ultimately, the size you need for clamps will vary from project to project. It all depends on what you are doing and what the project entails, including the thickness of materials and what you are building in general.
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to consider what manner of things you will be doing with these clamps to figure out the best size ranges for your needs – if you don’t already know.
Adjustability & Versatility
Another important factor to consider is the adjustability. In line with this is also the versatility. You see, there are all of these different styles of clamps and they all can fit into spaces and places differently. Sometimes their design also makes a difference, regardless of the best style you find.
For example, C clamps have that unique shape that allows you to turn them and maybe fit them into some tighter spaces much easier. Consider things like pockets of space that may be tight on one side of the clamping space.
You want to be able to adjust to the best of your needs while also having the freedom to move your clamps and adjust them or place them wherever you need to at the time. Having a range of styles and sizes can really be the best approach to making sure you are prepared for whatever tasks you may be working on.
Some other things you might want to consider is how you will need to move them and how challenging that might be. Can you move them easily? Will you need two hands? Once again, your needs here may vary depending on what it is you are doing at the time.
Next up, there is something to be said about a clamp that has the perfect grip. And we don’t just mean the grip for your hands but the grip for the wood you are working on too. Those little plastic or rubber feet pieces are there for a reason and that is to provide a solid grip on your devices but also to protect your materials at the same time.
For this reason, you want to know that the padding is going to stay in place and that it truly will protect when it is supposed to. If the pressure of the grip wears right through the materials, those little feet are practically useless.
On the same note, those little feet can sometimes cause the clamp to not be able to grip the project well. They might make it easier for the clamps to slip and slide rather than stay in place where you need them to be. These are all elements to keep in mind and maybe even look further into as you check out the choices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Best Woodworking Clamps?
It really all depends on what your needs are but we chose the Jorgensen bar style clamps as our best overall choice. You can see those in the first place on our review section. Remember that there are various styles to choose from, though.
What Clamps Do I Need for Woodworking?
We recommend having a variety. You should plan to stock your tool box with a variety of sizes and styles to be prepared for just about any situation you might come across. Start with some basic spring options if you are just getting started and then continue to build from there.
Are Pipe Clamps Good for Woodworking?
Pipe clamps can be a great option if you are careful. They should be used mostly for hardwood because they tend to have a strong grip and may not offer the padding and protection like some other styles do. Just be mindful of what you are working with as they are not always the best solution.
Are Bessey Clamps Any Good?
This brand is perhaps one of the best brands out there. They certainly can stand up against the competition and they are built to last. They do typically cost a little more than some options but the quality is there as well.
We hope that you find our guide to the best woodworking clamps to provide you with a valuable resource and all of the options and information that you need. We made every effort to provide you with a variety that could meet just about any need imaginable.
Which clamps are you eyeing?
To determine the clamp power that you might need, approximate about 100 to 150 pounds of power per square inch of the wood material. If you are using a hardwood, increase this to 175-250 PSI.
Did You Know?
F clamps and pipe clamps are designed for heavier projects. They can often extend much longer and handle a much higher weight limit and pressure overall.
- 💡 Solid Construction - Reinforced nylon body and high-quality hardened steel bars provide great impact resistance, which is totally able to withstand the heavy use expected on construction sites.
- 💡 Clamp & Spreader - The unique quick-change button design allows the f clamp to be a spreader as well. Just press the red button to take the jaw off and then reverse it before putting it back in, you will get the spreader you need.
- 💡 Powerful Clamping Force - With up to 150 lbs of squeezing force and a metal ratcheting mechanism, WORKPRO bar clamp offers a decent choice for woodworking or other household repairs. Its lightweight, yet sturdy, and is capable of holding pressure for extended periods.
- 💡 Eye for Details - Non-marring removable and replaceable pads feature flexible material and non-slip texture, which enhances the overall clamping force. Quick-release latch allows you to adjust and lock the wood clamps simply and quickly. Somewhat surprising, the ergonomically-designed handle and dipping plastic on the quick-release latch are both for customers' comfort.
- 💡 6” & 12” Clamps Set - The set contains 4 pieces 6” bar clamps and 2 pieces 12” bar clamps. The 6" clamps can be set to spreaders of sizes up to 11-9/64” and the 12” clamp is also a spreader with sizes up to 17-21/64”.
- 【Multi-function as Clamps & Spreader】 - Unique quick-change button allows the clamp easily converted into a spreader. Suitable for a wide range of woodworking & DIY projects.
- 【Excellent Clamping Force】 - Up to 400lbs of squeezing force and great impact resistance makes AugTouf bar clamps a perfect choice for woodworking or home repairs.
- 【Solid construction】 - Extra-large thickened pads enable grip firmly and protect the workpiece from any scratches. Reinforced nylon body and hardened steel bars to prevent flexing.
- 【Warranty】 - If you are not fully satisfied for any reason, please feel free to contact us via Amazon for a 100% refund or replacement.
- Package includes 2 carpenter clamps.
- Mr. Pen carpenter clamp is made of plastic body and high-quality hardened steel that provide excellent impact resistance.
- Mr. Pen carpenter clamp measures 9.9" x 4.4" and the maximum opening range is 6 inches.
- Soft jaw pads grip the workpiece and protect surfaces from potential damage.
- This product is suitable for woodworking and DIY projects; it is an ideal tool for enthusiasts and carpenters.