Woodworking can be a messy task. When you’re in the thick of it, you can have wood chunks and chips flying and dust in the air. While it’s certainly fun to tackle a variety of woodworking tasks, you probably know that it’s important to have certain safety items on hand as well.
You need the best woodworking apron added to your tool kit to be prepared for any situation. Work apron options are not just for looks or staying clean but they can also add some safety from flying wood while you work.
For protection from cuts and splinters, keeping your clothes clean, and maybe even having some small tools readily available in your pocket, the best woodworking aprons are a must for any workshop. There are a number of apron for woodworking choices out there and it’s our duty to share with you the top rated woodworking apron review details so you can choose the best qualifying purchases for your needs.
In this guide, we will share numerous woodworkers apron choices with detailed reviews. We also have a simple buyer’s guide to help guide you through the decision process and get you prepared with the work aprons you need.
Whether you want a tool apron, clothing protectors, a simple canvas work apron, or heavy duty woodworking aprons, we’ve got you covered!
We Think You’ll Like: Best Full Size Wood Lathe in 2022 – Reviews & Buyers Guide
The Best Woodworking Apron Reviews
In these reviews, you will find a variety of options. We made every effort to narrow down the market while also providing you with choices. All woodworking shops have different needs for their table of contents and we hope we can help you find one of the best woodworking apron choices for your needs.
Let’s get started!
1. Best Overall: Hudson Durable Good Heavy-Duty Apron
This first option from Hudson Durable Goods is the best woodworking apron overall. It’s our top pick in terms of professional canvas work apron options. Hudson makes heavy duty and reliable woodworking aprons that are easily the best woodworking aprons around. You can choose your color from several black and gray options.
This is a waxed canvas apron that is 16 0z waxed canvas and was truly built to last. It is handcrafted and made to be water resistant while also still being a rugged canvas work apron. It has plenty of pockets that are all double stitched so they won’t just fall apart on you.
The Hudson Durable Goods waxed canvas apron is a full coverage bib apron. There is a chest pocket as well as the lower portion and enough pockets to have all of your accessories. This woodworking apron is made with a low profile so none of the additions make it bulky or cumbersome to wear.
Because of the canvas aprons material, this heavy duty apron can be used for the woodworker but it can also be paired as a welding apron as well as many other uses. It ties on and has a cross back design so that it stays in place. The only thing missing is hammer loops!
- Versatile professional canvas work apron
- Best woodworking aprons overall
- Made to be heavy duty and long lasting
- Plenty of pockets that aren’t bulky for your items
- Comfort for long wear and a fit that stays in place
- The crisscross straps can actually be complicated to put on since you can’t just slip it over your head
- This apron may not hold up against intense heat and some chemicals
Why We Like It
This work apron from Hudson Durable Goods is well made and a canvas apron that will do any woodworker justice. It’s durable and reliable and the material holds up over time. Despite the cumbersome cross back, many workers still list this as one of the best so give we say #1 Hudson Durable Goods!
2. Budget Pick: NoCry Heavy Duty Work Apron
Next up is our budget pick! This budget-friendly NoCry Professional Canvas Work apron is a great shop apron. As far as aprons go, this one is well made and it will work wonderfully for a workshop apron. It has a cell phone pocket, tool pockets, chest pocket, pencil pocket, and even more pockets. By the way, this 16 oz. waxed canvas apron even has hammer loops.
This is a heavy duty waxed canvas tool apron with reinforced shoulder straps that are comfortable, even when you have all of the weight of full pockets. This woodworking shop apron for men or women is very nice and has 26 pockets. You really can’t beat those pockets.
This canvas woodworking apron really is more than just pockets though. The 16 0z waxed canvas is waterproof and durable. It’s made with high quality materials that won’t balk at the weight of your tools. The padded straps go a long way for comfort and the double stitching will hold up against the weight of your tools as well.
The padded straps meet in the back with a racer back design so your canvas shop apron will stay in place. It’s equipped with a quick release buckle so you can take it off easily when you are ready. It’s suitable for any body size and the canvas construction really is impressive.
- Made with 16 oz waxed canvas heavy duty materials
- Lots and lots of pockets for your tools
- The shoulder straps are comfortable with padded straps
- High quality materials and double stitching
- Budget friendly canvas shop apron
- Some users leave a comment as to the placement and visibility of the manufacturer logo
- The pencil pockets are deep and narrow to work with
Why We Like It
We really like that this NoCry professional canvas work woodshop apron offers tons of pockets plus 2 hammer loops. It’s well made and doesn’t cost a lot of money. The padded shoulder straps give you more comfort than most work aprons. Did we mention pockets? Chest pockets and more pockets than you could possibly fill on one apron.
3. Texas Canvas Wares Apron
The Texas Canvas Wares waxed apron is a workshop apron that was designed for grilling and BBQing initially but it works quite well as a workshop apron. The Texas Canvas Wares waxed canvas heavy duty apron is designed with a cross back tie strap and will protect your clothes just as well as any leather apron could.
This apron is made with canvas materials that will house your tools nicely in the chest pocket and tool pockets. It can hang out in your workshop and won’t be damaged easily by your tools or your work. The pockets have double stitching so they can handle the weight of tools or anything you may add to them. You can use one or 2 hammer loops at your preference.
This tool apron is simple and well made. It can work for a lot of different uses and the pockets aren’t bulky or awkward. They will hold one or multiple hand tools as needed and won’t fall apart with a little bit of weight.
The cross back is nice because it allows this apron to adjust more readily to any body size. It also has a buckle closure to simplify taking it off and on. The material is breathable and made to protect you without being hot and stiff. The company also offers a satisfaction guarantee.
- BBQ apron turned woodworking apron
- Apron is made with water resistant canvas
- Pockets have room for tools and weight support
- Cross back for an adjustable fit
- One simple piece that is reliable
- The phone pocket might be too small for some phones
Why We Like It
This apron is simple and yet is one of the best when it comes to effectiveness. It has reliable canvas materials and is versatile to many different body sizes. It has plenty of pockets for your tools and other accessories and the durability is certainly reliable.
4. Bucket Boss Canvas Super Shop Apron
This next option comes from Bucket Boss. Bucket Boss makes a lot of great things. This apron is budget friendly and well-made but they also make some remarkable tool belts as well if that is something you might need. This apron is simple but comfortable and effective.
This one is a canvas apron that looks a lot like a leather woodworking apron. It has slightly padded shoulder straps for lots of comforts as well. The canvas is water resistant so it will hold up against the demands of the job.
If you don’t want a pocket for every one thing you use, this could be great. It has fewer pockets than most of the other options but still has the chest pocket and a large front pocket to give you pockets for minor things.
The fit is comfortable and adjustable and it meets in the back like a racer back model. The closure around the waist buckles and is easy to release as well. The sizing is versatile and will fit up to a size 52-inch waist. A very simple apron that will protect your clothes while you are working with your tools.
- Simple but effective
- Water resistant canvas material
- 3 pockets for basic tools and necessities
- Simple buckle closure with comfort straps
- Adjustable waist sizing
- The pockets seem to wear out rather quickly
Why We Like It
If you need reliable protection for your clothes that don’t cost a lot, Bucket Boss has it. It’s a great solution that is made with a simple design and has fewer pockets. In terms of woodworking aprons, this one delivers with quality and comfort.
5. Briteree Woodworking Apron, Double Waxed Canvas
This next option is another winner. This one from Briteree falls is into a medium price range and it is quite comparable to the Armor Gear favorites that can be really hard to find in stock. These aprons are highly rated and just might give Armor Gear a run for their money if given the chance.
For woodworking aprons, this one has tons of pockets for your tools and other uses. It has loops, pockets, and even covered pockets for screws and things that you want to be sure don’t fall out. It’s a long woodworking apron, which means more protection.
This apron is double waxed and water resistant. The canvas wax is 20 ounces. Overall, you get 9 total pockets. They are spread out over the apron. There is also a small magnetized box on the center for small items like screws and nails when you’re working on that part of a project.
The shoulder straps on this woodworking apron are padded and comfortable. It is certainly one for the books. The back does cross and tie one but is designed so the straps don’t tangle up and it’s easy to adjust and remove. It also has a buckle closure that is easy to use.
- 9 pockets plus a hanging loop, hammer loop, and magnetic box
- Lots of versatility with the pockets and pouches and more
- Built for comfort with buckle closure and padded straps
- Easy to take on and off with cross back for a secure fit
- A woodworking apron that deserves recognition
- The strap could be improved upon with the leather pieces that are almost ineffective
Why We Like It
It’s rare to find aprons with 9 usable pockets plus a magnetic box on the apron. The design is intuitive and well thought out. While the straps could still use some work, this is overall a good apron that deserves to be listed as one of the best for woodworking purposes.
6. Jexicase Tool Apron, Durable Canvas Work Apron
This one is a bit unique as well. The Jexicase aprons have a slightly different design than some of the other options we’ve shared, which gives you some versatility for your woodworking apron needs. This thing is fairly new but it is highly rated across the board and seems to be worth a glance.
This apron has a bit of a slim build and is not quite as long as some but it does the job effectively. The straps are made with leather and built for durability. This crosses in the back with a leather piece to make it functional and then you tie the closure to your sizing needs. It’s a simple design that works quite well.
These aprons have plenty of different pockets. The pockets are simple and convenient but range in size and style so you can hold things as needed. They are made for small tools and accessories, nothing too hefty like power tools.
The material of this apron is reliable and durable for woodworking. You get a couple of different color choices. It’s built to be comfortable and simple and should adjust to a variety of waist sizes up to 50 inches.
- Newer option on the market
- Simple design that is versatile
- Durable materials
- Leather straps that don’t twist
- Versatile for sizing
- Still fairly new, which means feedback is limited
- A little on the short side for a wood working apron
Why We Like It
We like to offer versatility and this is another apron with different qualities. It’s well made overall and has a simple but effective design. The straps have qualities that are hard to find and this apron will work quite nicely for your woodworking needs.
Best Drill Press For Woodworking In 2021 – Reviews & Buyers Guide
Why would you need a drill press if you can handle a drill? You would be surprised at just how helpful a top rated drill press for woodworking could be to assist woodworkers in their projects.
Buyers Guide to Choosing a Woodworking Apron
Now that we’ve shared our top picks for the best aprons, we feel it’s vital to also give you some insight that could be helpful for choosing the best apron for your needs. It’s quite clear that aprons can be made with a variety of styles and details.
One thing we want to point out is that you should definitely try to choose an apron that fits your style, needs, and preferences. You may want something simple or you may be looking for something with all of the pockets. It’s totally up to you!
Here are a few things to consider as you check out your options and try to make a decision.
One important thing about aprons is that they are typically designed to be a unisex fit with a wide array of sizing. Most aprons are meant to fit a small person and a large person simultaneously. This is totally ok if the apron manufacturer can get adjustability features honed properly.
Look for the maximum sizing in the descriptions to be sure the apron you are looking at will work for you. Most aprons will extend to 50+ inches around the waist but not all of them. Not only do you want to be able to adjust the waist but the straps are important as well.
When it comes to sizing, comfort is important. Choosing the best sizing means understanding how the different pieces work together to fit a variety of people. You can check out comments and reviews of what others are saying to try to get a clear picture sometimes as well. We made every effort to choose apron options that would be versatile for sizing purposes.
Comfort is essential for choosing an apron. You will probably be wearing this thing for hours at a time. Are the straps comfortable, is it heavy, will tools fit comfortably? There are a lot of comfort factors to consider and watch out for.
Sometimes, it’s impossible to really gauge comfort until you are hard at it with work. However, you can often tell by the overall design whether comfort was one of the intentions. It’s not a foolproof way to try to figure out if the apron you are looking at will be comfortable but it can certainly tell you a lot to look at the comprehensive design of the apron.
Your comfort matters. While the ultimate goal is to have a reliable apron that won’t fall apart, you also want to be comfortable while you are wearing it. There is nothing worse than being stiff and uncomfortable while you work.
Yes, that’s right, the pockets are important! You may only want 1 or 2 or you may want ALL of them. It’s totally up to you! In our top picks, you will find a variety of options with a whole lot of different pocket placements and numbers of pocket options. We made a point to provide options here where storage is concerned.
Some of these will have loops and straps while others will just have a single pocket or two. Others will be loaded with every type of pocket and pouch you can dream of. The good news is, you have the flexibility to decide what you prefer and what will really work best for your needs.
Don’t forget to notice the apron that even had a magnetic section. That’s a pretty neat bonus but some woodworkers may feel like it is utterly useless to them and that is totally ok. You need a place to house a few tools but just how much room you need is totally up to you!
You will notice that the majority of these options are canvas. Some of them are heavier canvas and all of them are waxed canvas. This is because this material tends to be durable, water resistant, and not as heavy as leather often is. It makes for a quality apron option without being too expensive or hot and heavy.
When you are working with wood, you need flexibility and simplicity. You have to be able to move steadily and sometimes quickly. you want materials that aren’t going to fall apart with your work but also that won’t collect the wood shavings and dust from your work.
This is why canvas materials are often waxed. It protects your body and your clothing from the work you are doing but is not a magnet for wood dust and shavings to cling to. It’s a win, win really!
The price can also make a difference in selecting your apron of choice. Budgets vary across the board as do your needs. While most aprons are not overly expensive, you will still find a variety of price options.
It certainly can be true that you get what you pay for but the good news is that you also can get good quality on a budget. If your budget is limited, that is totally ok! The budget friendly options that we shared here are still high quality options you can depend on.
Everything in our reviews is heavy duty and reliable and each apron has its own unique traits that sets it apart. Regardless of the prices and the price range you can handle at the time, any apron on this list will be a great choice.
We looked for quality over cost as an indicator here and we think you will be pleased with the selections we found you.
Finally, we want to wrap up important characteristics to consider with talking just a little bit about the importance of mobility. While you do need a certain level of both stiffness and support, you need to be able to move and move quickly if required.
This particular characteristic somewhat fits closely with comfort. Mobility is a safety issue. If you can’t move, your apron might cause an unsafe working environment and this just won’t do! You need to be able to move in all ways.
This means you should be able to sit, stand, bend, squat, turn, and more. Your arms should have a full range of comfortable movement as well. The goal here is to not be restricted by the fit of the apron you are wearing. Consider the tool placements as well with this mobility point of thought.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Clean a Woodworking Apron?
For the most part, you should be able to just brush off any dust and sawdust that happens to cling to you while you work. This is your every day cleaning. If you happen to have stains that you want to try to get off, you can try using a castile soap or just a damp sponge to work at those stains.
Most of these aprons are not designed to be washed in the washing machine so do your best with soap and water and then hang the apron to dry in the fresh air.
Why is a Waxed Apron Important?
The wax on the material helps to prevent dust and shavings from clinging to your apron. This makes it much easier to clean your apron and not have to worry about debris just hanging on endlessly.
What is the Best Material for a Woodworking Apron?
The two most common materials are canvas (which is waxed) or leather. We recommend and prefer waxed canvas materials over leather as it is more breathable and movable and it is often easier to clean up as well.
We hope that you find this guide to be a valuable resource for choosing your next wood working apron. We found a simple variety of many great options and you can win with any of them. Keep your needs and comfort in mind as you pick out your apron.
Which one is at the top of your list?
Spring for an apron that has padding on the straps. This will help to keep your apron in place as it should be, making it more comfortable. It also will relieve tension from the straps and help with the weight of whatever might be in your pockets.
Did You Know?
Many woodworking aprons can be versatile for other uses as well. You might decide to use your apron for things like BBQing and gardening. Or you might decide that you need more than one apron to have available for other uses!
- ✅ Top quality 27 inches wide x 34 inches long full coverage apron protects you until the knee when you are working. If you've been looking for a premium quality heavy-duty work apron at an affordable price then your search is over. That's because our 16 oz waxed canvas apron is handcrafted, reinforced with grommets and rivets, double stitched tool pockets and thick top and bottom hems which means that it is incredibly durable. Also includes a safety glasses strap and metal tape holder
- ✅ Revolutionary. Unlike other aprons that are stiff and heavy as cardboard which cause you discomfort, our apron features a very tough but flexible material that gives you protection and still flexible enough to move comfortably. It also doesn't trap dust and prevent oils from soaking through to your clothes.
- ✅ A Fresh approach. The problem with other aprons is it causes neck and back pain as it hangs around your neck. Our product solves that problem because our apron is designed to hang over the shoulder which means that weight is distributed evenly over the shoulders. Never suffer neck and back pain again.
- ✅ Practical. Our Apron has strategically placed pockets so that you have everything you need close to hand instead of constantly search for them. Front pockets are deep and have ample space with flaps to keep out dust and can be tucked into pockets. The "cell phone pocket" is large enough to hold an iPhone 8+ with zip to prevent it from falling out when bending over.
- ✅ Unique. Because our apron has a quick release buckle and unique harness design which is easily and fully adjustable. That is great because it can adjust to fit any body frame and preference. Once you have it adjusted to your fit, taking it on and off is straightforward and it stays on well without slipping off.
- 【Premium Quality】Made of 20oz heavy duty waxed canvas work apron, the shop apron is water-resistant, oil-proof, dirt-proof. With tight double stitching and solid brass grommets & rivets, this waxed canvas aprons is durable and comfortable, providing protection and convenience at work, which can be use for a long time at your workshop
- 【Multi Pocket for Organizing All Tools】Equipped with 9 tool pockets, UUP woodworking shop aprons organize all your different size of tools. There are small-sized pockets and large-capacity pockets, such as 7.5" x 3.5" chest pockets for phone, hanging loop for hammer, other pockets can hold spanner, pen, tape measure,etc. Everything you need can be neatly organized in the tool apron
- 【Additional Magnetic Pocket】UUP work shop apron for men has added a magnetic pocket above the deep kangaroo pockets, which can hold screws, nails, bolts, washers, drill bits without falling off. The flaps of the mens apron over the deep kangaroo pockets prevent tools from falling and keep dust out
- 【Adjustable & Cross-back Shoulder Strap】Lengthened 47inch(120cm) shoulder straps with breathable thick shoulder pad, you can customized your own size by adjust the straps. Cross-back straps make you more comfortable without tying your neck while working. Full coverage 33.8" x 27.5" workshop apron, waistband with snap-fit design, easy to put on and take off
- 【Exquisite Gift & Sweet Customer Service】UUP work apron can be a wonderful gift idea to your family, friends, lovers on Valentine's Day. Widely used for woodworking, electrician, lathe work, BBQ, workshop, garage, etc. We are responsible for our woodworking shop aprons,we provides a 30 DAYS free replacement or FULL refund, any question, please feel free to contact us and we will help you within 24 hours
- Premium Quality - Heavy Duty 20 oz waxed canvas apron with double stitching. Sturdy, durable but comfortable, provide protection and convenience at work.
- 9 Tool Pockets - Functional storage pockets with all different sizes, like chest pockets for pen and phone, hanging Loop for hammer. Special designed work apron for woodworkers, machinists, workshop, garage, lathe work, etc.
- Practical Tool Apron – With a handy magnetic patch for holding bits nails, screws. The flaps over the tool pockets to keep sawdust out. Removable padded shoulder straps spread the weight to prevent neck strain.
- Customized Fit – Waistband with Snap-Fit Design is quick and easy to wear. Full coverage workshop apron, 27.3’’W x 33’’H. Adjustable x-back give you a comfortably fit.
- Delicate Packaging - Comes with gift box and user instruction, a great present for people whom doing carpentering, gardening, etc. Ideal choice gift for men, fathers.