Wood chisels are an essential tool for any woodworker. Wood chisels, bench chisels carpenter chisels, and more are some of the most common types of wood chisels out there and they all serve an active purpose when it comes to handling woodworking tasks.
Whether you make furniture, enjoy wood carving, or just like to be prepared with a variety of hand tools, you need the best wood chisel to add to your collection. That’s why we have put together an extensive list of the best wood chisels for woodworking. We’ve sorted through all of the options out there to narrow it down to the very best high quality options available.
In this guide, we will share with you the best wood chisels from wood chisel set options to woodworking chisels, and maybe even some paring chisels as well. There are so many things you just can’t really do without the best wood chisel on hand so it’s time to find the solution that will be right for you.
Stick with us to find your best chisel for woodworking from our selection of top rated wood chisel table of contents.
Top Rated Wood Chisels Review
In these wood chisel reviews, you will find a variety of options from best wood chisel sets to options designed for fine woodworking or edge retention, and everything in between. Each wood chisel review will contain a rundown of everything you should know in order to choose the best wood chisels for your needs.
Let’s get started.
1. Best Overall: Rexbeti 10 Piece Premium Wood Chisel Set
This first option is the best overall best wood chisel set on the market and our top pick for wood chisels set solutions. This kit is a traditional style and comes with everything you need, including a very nice carrying case that has a place for everything and makes keeping your wood chisels together or taking them on the go a simple process.
This is a 10 piece set that is one of the best wood chisel sets. It contains 6 wood chisels plus a sharpening stone, carpenter pencils, and a honing guide. The extra accessories may earn some bonus points for this set. Sizes include as small as 1/4 of an inch and extent to well beyond 1 inch at 1 1/2.
The chisels include multiple sizes of woodworking chisels. They are high quality options and each blade is made of chrome vanadium steel blades that have been heat treated. Each blade has a sharp cutting edge as well as edge retention. These are built to last as a tool for some time to come.
Rather than plastic handles or wooden handle, these are made with thick, rubber handle grips that are similar to modern handheld screwdrivers. It’s comfortable and you can grip it well to maintain maximum controls of the blades and edges while you work.
- Well made wood chisel set
- Contains all sizes for woodworking chisels
- Includes a sharpening stone, honing guide, and pencils
- Comes in a handy, fitted carrying case
- Blade edges are made with chrome vanadium steel
- Some users had issues with the edges not being square
- These do sometimes end up with dents or nicks from drops and other damage
Why We Like It
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced woodworker, these are a great option. The chrome vanadium steel alloy blade is a nice point to the quality. The handles are made well and this is a great choice to have a wood chisel set on hand. It is our best choice overall for these reasons and more.
2. Budget Pick: Hurricane 4-Piece CR-V Chisel Set
This next wood chisel option is the best value for the money. It’s a simple choice but it provides you with the wood chisel tool you need in a fix. This is a 4 piece set (even better than 3 piece!). This is another great set to get started with. It has plastic handles but the choice of blade materials is supreme. The blades are made with drop forged chrome manganese steel or CR-V steel blade materials.
These have a strike cap on the end of the handle that can be very useful and the handles are still sturdy and made for high impact. These work for all types of wood and are a high quality tool steel solution. They can be used as a mortise chisel, bench chisel, or wood carving chisel with a bevel edge and side bevels that can handle just about anything.
While this is a budget friendly wood chisel set, you would never know it by looking at the design. You get multiple size options, up to 1 inch and quality materials. This wood chisel set is highly rated. It doesn’t have a carrying case to keep them together but the set itself is well worth a glance. No more piece wood that gets the better of your chisel set!
- Quality tool steel blades allow you to use as mortise chisels, bench chisel, or even wood carving
- Sturdy plastic handles can handle impact
- Best value in a simple 4 piece set
- The blades are made with quality CR-V
- Beveled edges allow the blades to be used for a variety of reasons
- These are not overly sharp so you may also need a sharpening stone
Why We Like It
We like that these bevel edge chisels are so affordable and have a lot of versatility. The handle is reliable and you get a simple fix perfect for the beginner or experienced woodworker. If you’re looking for value on a budget, you can certainly find it with these woodworking chisels.
3. EZARC Wood Chisel Tool Sets, 6 Pieces
If you like the more traditional style with wooden handles, this wood chisel selection just might be the set for you. This is a premium chisel set that is 6 pieces so it’s like getting two separate 3 piece sets in one! These are high quality and very nice looking options. While they don’t have a hornbeam handle, they are absolutely gorgeous and strong at the same time.
The wood chisels blade is made with high carbon steel and you have a perfectly crafted wooden handle on each and every size of the chisel in this set. The sizes range from 1/4 inch to 1 inch and several in between sides. The smallest options have narrow side bevels that allow you to do quite a lot. These are made with a professional design. They have extremely sharp edges and the ash handles can be used for pounding.
On each of these, the handles have a strong and tight connection to the chrome manganese high carbon steel blades. The handles are made with sturdy ash wood that supports the blades with ease. These two 3 piece sets also include a very nice wooden storage case with slots for each tool in the set.
All of the details for these wood chisels are seamless and the quality is top notch. Whether you are a beginner or you just want high quality types of wood chisels, these will deliver for you. Piece wood carving, mortise chisels, bench chisel, paring chisels and more in this 6 piece set!
- Premium materials 6 piece set of chisels
- High carbon steel blades on wood chisels
- Superior wooden handle that can withstand impact
- Multiple chisels sizes up to 1 inch
- Beautiful wooden case with slotted spaces for housing chisels
- These chisels may have to be sharpened initially out of the box
- The wood handles are lightweight but sturdy
Why We Like It
This chisels set catches our attention for the premium, wooden quality build. each chisel is made with carbon steel blade materials and this set certainly stands out in terms of design and appeal. If you need narrow side bevels or wooden handle materials, it’s time for you to get these chisels in hand.
4. Irwin Marples Chisel Set, 6 Piece
The Irwin Marples chisels collection is another quality choice that might stand out to you. From mortise chisel to paring chisels, these will feel great in your hand. They are made with premium materials and are highly rated across the board for quality and durability. This set also comes in a European beech wood case and each chisel’s blades have a cover to keep them protected while not in use.
The blades edge is made with high carbon steel that is hardened to 58-HRC. This material was used for maintaining the edge. The handle is made to be comfortable in your hand but also sturdy. Each handle is contoured for control and comfort and can also withstand the use of hammering with a mallet or your hand.
There are 6 different sizes in this 6 piece set. The chisels set ranges from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. This is a great chisel set for mortise chisels, bench chisel, or piece wood carving, and more. The quality is ideal and each chisel in the tool set is designed perfectly for woodworking among other things.
These are helpful for the beginner as well as just about all piece wood carving needs and more. They are another premium purchase that has proven the quality is there. These are well built and made to last and they will provide you best chisel set needs for some time to come.
- 6 piece chisels set with multiple best sizes available
- Can handle all types of uses, including bench chisels or mortise chisel
- Comes in a reliable wooden case
- Beveled edges and sharp blades all around
- Premium chisel set materials with covers and all
- The length is not as long as some users would prefer for chisels
- You may need to do a little up front work before you start using these chisels on wood
Why We Like It
This Irwin Marples chisel set is a classic win for woodworking blades. The chisel set is made with a variety of size options and you get a sleek, wooden case for your chisel set. The handle is comfortable and the blades are strong.
5. Narex Premium 5-Piece Set
You’ve seen a couple of premium chisels models here but the chisels Narex put out are some of the highest quality out there. These wood models do cost quite a bit more but they are well worth the price with a 5-star rating across the board. If you can spend a little bit more, these chisels may be well worth your review and money.
Narex is known for its gorgeous chisels designs and high quality wood that comes with the Narex name. Many people like the chisels socket design. While these are not socket chisels, they have a long handle and a build that feel like many socket handles overall. The Narex brand is made by a small shop in the Czech Republic.
The blades are fine grained chrome manganese steel and the handles are made with Hornbeam, which is hard to find anymore with woodworking tool sets. You can’t get much better than these as far as quality for both blades and handles. They are beveled to exactly 25 degrees on the beveled edges and Narex measurements are accurate.
This Narex set will deliver quality in both blade and handles that you simply don’t see anymore. It’s a traditional style for bench chisels and more and truly one of the best chisel sets you are going to find. There is no indication on the listing that these come in a case but purchasers do mention individual protective sleeves.
- Narex premium quality chisel set
- Six piece chisel set with multiple sizes
- Chisel blade and handles in this set are made with the BEST materials
- Useful for all wood carving, bench chisel, and more woodworking needs
- European hornbeam, which is nearly impossible to find with this detailing
- Very limited detail and verified information available
Why We Like It
Narex has been a premium woodworking solution for quite some time. The pieces always meet all expectations and it really doesn’t get much better than this. For the dollar you’re spending, you get the reliable quality you expect from this set of chisel tools.
6. Professional Wood Chisel Tool Sets
Finally, we leave you with one last set of chisels for wood that are designed like a socket chisel. While they don’t socket, they have the look and feel of a socket tool made for woodworking. This chisel setup is similar to the last one in overall design and functionality but it is a budget friendly style.
If you want a quality chisel set that meets all of the points, this set is it. It doesn’t come with a sharpening stone but many of the sets don’t. Be sure to purchase a sharpening stone to be prepared to sharpen as needed. These have a quality blade material and have blade coverings as well as a protective case.
This set has 4 wood chisels in it that are really made with the best materials. You can also purchase the set of wood chisel pieces without the case but it’s best to use a case to really protect them. You also won’t have to use your sharpening stone as much if each chisel is always well protected from all aspects.
These wood chisels are made with some of the best materials, including the use of CR-V for the chisels blade of steel. It is slightly oiled when you receive it for the best protection against the elements for each chisel. The chisel handles are made with beechwood, which is solid and durable and will serve your wood chisel needs well.
- Quality chisels for wood at a budget friendly price
- Chisels come with blade covers and a protective case
- High end materials on these chisels for wood
- Perfect for both amateurs and professionals
- 4 chisels in this set
- You may need to sharpen the chisels when you get them but they do hold an edge well after that
Why We Like It
We love that these chisels provide a quality woodworking solution without breaking the bank. You get a sleek, wooden style that is well made for working with wood as needed. These chisels deliver exceptional quality and value for the money.
Best Band Saw – Reviews & Buyers Guide
Looking for a great band saw too? Finding the right band saw out there can change the way you practice woodworking. Click below to go over what you need to look out for and what benefits some of the best band saws have over others.
Now that we’ve shared the best wood chisels on the market with you, let’s talk a little bit more about things that you may want to consider as you look through the options for chisels and try to make a final decision.
The following sections are designed to provide you with information that could be beneficial to you and help you make an informed decision for chisels. These tips are simple and should be easy for you to move forward in your processes.
The one thing we really want to iterate here is that you should specifically consider your needs and preferences above all else. While we will share some things to be mindful of, ultimately choosing an option could depend on what you need or do as far as wood is concerned. Don’t forget your preferences as you make a wood chisel decision.
Types of Chisels for Wood
You will see terminology for different wood tools like these that encompasses several different styles of chisels. The good news is that many of these are meant to be used in multiple ways. The mortise style chisel is very specific but you can often use a bench style or even a paring style for the same purposes. Here is a brief explanation of each of these.
Bench Style Chisels
These are the most popular style because they are considered multi-purpose. You can do just about anything with these when it comes to woodworking. You will find them with varying handles and blades and if you purchase sets, you will most likely get a case with them – although this is not guaranteed.
These types have this name because of their popularity. The thought is they get used regularly enough that they stay on the “bench”. They can also be used for things like chopping, carving, paring, and more.
Most of these have beveled edges but they might also be firm or registered instead.
This is a very specific style that is primarily used for chopping, particularly heavy chopping. You may need this specific style but often you can use the bench or paring style to complete the same tasks. Mortise options are fairly limited in what else they can do so most people tend to lean towards the multi-functional options.
The third most common style is the paring style. These are typically a delicate type of chisel and you can often use bench styles for paring work if you use the right sizes and edges. These typically have a low angle and use thin steel so they can handle slicing and paring with more care and precision.
Handle & Blade Design
Another of the most important aspects to consider is the handles and the blades. Many times, you will find that the blade needs to be sharpened when you receive it but as long as it is made with quality materials, you should be ok. The goal is to have a strong material that is made to last and can be sharpened to the appropriate edge.
You will also find that there are different angles and beveled levels when it comes to the blade so keep any specific needs in mind here when you buy. Just so you are aware, even if your chisel comes at a specific angle, you can often do some work to get it to where you specifically want it to be.
In addition to the cutting end, you need a good handle! You have to be able to have a steady and secure grip while you work. If you can’t hang on or grasp well or if you simply can’t be comfortable, it could make your work miserable.
We made every effort to choose options that had both quality blades and handles overall in the design.
Your budget is another important factor. Whether you are a professional or an amateur, you still most likely have a range of price that you can handle. Sometimes, the price sets the value but there are many affordable options that are still really made well as well.
If you need to spend a little less, that’s ok. There are options here for every budget and if they are on this list, they are good quality for the money so you don’t have to worry about shoddy craftsmanship with your selection.
Sets & Sizes
Alright, whether you’re just looking for a single option or you need a variety, we recommend a set. You will notice all of the options here come in a set. The sets come in a variety of numbers and sizes so know what you need and then choose accordingly.
You will also want to know if you will get a case and any accessories as well. Sometimes, a full kit is nice because it has additional accessories that can be quite useful overall. It’s best to be prepared with an assortment so go ahead and spring for a kit that gives you options.
Be familiar with the options you really need or want to see as well so you can make sure you will be adequately covered by your purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Makes the Best Wood Chisel?
We really like the kit that comes from Rexbeti in our top pick overall but you should know there are a number of quality names out there. You might recognize names like Narex, Stanley, Irwin, and more. These are all great choices, as are the options we’ve shared with you here that don’t fall under these brands at all.
Are Narex Chisels Any Good?
Yes, they certainly are! This is a brand that is well-known. They are of premium quality and a premium price. They are well worth the cost of the overall design and quality structure. This particular brand comes highly recommend and rated for quality and durability.
What Size Chisels Should I Buy?
We recommend a kit with a variety of sizes. The most common are 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, and a full one inch as well. You can find larger sizes and some in between choices but we recommend at least these 4 as a standard for being prepared for any possible task and need.
What is the Best Steel for Wood Chisel?
There are several quality steels out there. You can go with a simple high carbon or you can look for CR-V. These are some of the top choices when it comes to the blade for a chisel.
As a woodworker, you probably already know the importance of having quality tools that meet your needs. It’s time to pick out the right chisel for your workspace and we hope that we were able to provide an option that you think fits for you! Which one do you have your eyes on?
Always have sharpening stone available. Many times you will need to sharpen before you use your chisels and you may even decide to hone down the angles or the metal before you use the tool.
Did You Know?
Chisels take skill and practice to master. They are not as “easy” as some people would believe them to be. Be prepared to practice and to mess up and know that your skills will develop over time if you remain consistent.
- Chisels are in the following sizes: 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch. The chisel zipped bag will not only protect your wood carving equipment, but it will also help you carry it around with ease.
- The blades come slightly oiled, which helps to protect against corrosion. Each chisel has a black plastic edge guard to protect the tips from damage and to protect everything else in your toolbox from getting nicked or scratched.
- The chisel handles are made of beech wood, and tighten with a stainless steel hoop, in order to provide you with the most comfortable and the strongest grip. The lightweight handle in combination with the sharp bevel edge allow you to have optimal control of the carving chisels and carve any wood effortlessly and with high precision. This design will help to bear more impact, and have a longer service life.
- The blades of the woodworking chisels are made with chrome vanadium steel(Cr-V), sharp edge, high hardness. No burs or defects, which means that they would be stronger and rush resistant.
- The chisel sets are especially great for trimming down wood, trimming. The Grebstk brand chisel sets are suitable for amateur and professional carpenter or wood work artist woodworking jobs.
- Premium Material: Drop forged chrome-vanadium steel blade for durability and heat treated for edge retention
- Edge: Bevel edge for woodworking carving multi-purpose use, suitable for all soft wood, hard wood and laminated wood products
- Comes with sizes: 1/4",1/2'', 3/4'', 1'', full length blade guard for added safety
- Handle: PVC colored transparent high impact handle
- Surface Treating: Lacquer coating protects and lubricates blade for smooth cutting
- WOOD CHISEL – Need a wood chisel that holds its edge while working? The WORKPRO ½” wood chisel is what you’re looking for. With a durable design, this wood chisel tool will help you achieve a variety of projects
- HEAVY-DUTY DESIGN – Forged of hardened tempered steel, this heavy-duty chisel holds its edge and the blade stays sharper on soft, hard and laminated wood
- ERGONOMIC GRIP – The full-sized ergonomic handle grip means this chisel for woodworking fits comfortably in your hand, even when using for an extended period of time
- PROTECTIVE BLADE – A protective blade guard is included to keep the chisel blade edge sharp, meaning less time tuning the blade and more time to work on your project
- DURABLE STEEL CAP – The durable steel butt is designed for heavy pounding with a hammer or mallet. Complete your woodworking chisel set with this ½” wood chisel