Every woodworker needs the right work surface to get the job done. Many carpentry experts use work tables and stands but there are times when a table just won’t accommodate your needs, particularly when it comes to cutting large pieces of wood or working outdoors.
Saw horses are versatile tools that can be used for far more than just cutting wood. They can serve as a work bench and they can easily be moved around to be used wherever you need them. The nice thing is that the best sawhorses can be folded and made compact for storage purposes as well.
Related Review: Best Woodworking Bench
In this guide, we will review the 5 best saw horses on the market, covering everything that makes them stand out against their competitors and hopefully pointing you in the direction of the perfect saw horse for your next project. Sawhorses come in many varieties and we have a lot of ground to cover, so let’s get started!
Table of Contents
View The 5 Best Saw Horses Reviewed Below
1. DeWalt Miter Saw Stand Heavy Duty DWX725 – Best Overall Value
- Weight Capacity: 1,000 lbs
- Material: Aluminum
- Weight: 15.4 pounds.
- Dimensions: 11-inch x 36-inch x 32-inch
This option from DeWalt is our top pick when it comes to a good option for horse sawing setup. It’s simple and yet very well made. You can guarantee easy storage with this folding sawhorse. It is designed to be compact and heavy duty all at the same time.
This sawing horse can hold up to 1,000 pounds. If you really like this one, DeWalt has another option that also has a detachable bar for your miter saw. These are made with lightweight aluminum materials and a pair will set you up nicely for your work. These come individually so you will need to purchase 2 for a pair.
The legs lock and will steadily support the weight that you add to them. This is a folding saw horse that is completely collapsible for storage. It does not just fold in half but folds completely down to a small box size. Unfortunately, this option does not have any place for a shelf and cord but it stands out in other areas.
- Heavy-duty sawhorses
- Folding sawhorse option
- Weight capacity of 1,000
- Reliable for all work
- Option from DeWalt with detachable bar clamps
- No cord hooks included
- Does not come as a per pair option
Why do we like it?
This is one of those horses that wins our favor not because it has a bunch of special features or shiny attachments but because it’s simple, reliable, and compact all in one simple setup. You can’t go wrong with these sawhorses.
2. ToughBuilt Folding Sawhorse Heavy-Duty TB-C650 – Best Budget Pick
- Weight Capacity: 1300 lbs
- Material: Steel
- Weight: 19 lbs
- Dimensions: 42-inch x 22-inch x 25-32-inch. (adjustable height)
This option from ToughBuilt is one of the best budget sawhorses you’re going to find. The price on the listing is not per pair so keep that in mind, but it is still far less in cost than many competitor options. This saw horse is heavy duty and yet and made with stainless steel. Despite not being made with lightweight aluminum, it’s still lightweight for transport to any job site.
This folding sawhorse can be reduced to less than 5 inches in width, perfect for easy storage. The legs fold up completely inside the bar setting. You will find that it holds considerable weight with a high weight capacity of 1300 pounds. It has adjustable legs so you can position it to your comfort.
Of all the sawhorses on the market for lower prices, this is almost as good, if not better, than some of the more expensive options you can work with. This one also does not have cord hooks or bar clamps but it does support arms that can hold 2 x 4’s.
- Includes bar clamps, shelf, and hooks
- Simple folding pair of sawhorses
- Lightweight and easy to work with
- Decent weight capacity of 1000 pounds
- Comes in a per pair package
- Best for light duty due to durable plastic build
Why do we like it?
While these advertise the ability to hold 1,000 pounds, we don’t recommend putting them to the maximum test. Available information shows that these are great but they don’t hold up under heavy weight for extended periods. They are best for light duty but make reliable sawhorses for those purposes.
3. Worx Clamping Sawhorses with Bar Clamps
- Weight Capacity: 1,000 lbs (as a pair)
- Material: Thermoplastic Polymer
- Weight: 16.30 lbs
- Dimensions: L 27-inch x W 6.75 x H 32.5-inch.
This option from Worx does come in a per pair package and it has the bells and whistles that make nice little additions to your sawhorses. This saw horse pair will be great for any job site. It comes loaded with detachable bar clamps as well as shelf and cord hooks for your convenience.
These sawhorses are folding but they only fold in half rather into the compact fold of our previous two options. These are made to be both durable and lightweight folding sawhorse options. They hold a decent amount of weight with a stated weight capacity of 1000 pounds.
These folding sawhorses can conveniently be taken to work anywhere you need them to. They’re lightweight and simple to work with and adjust the accessories as needed. You can’t beat the option that includes the additional hooks and clamps when it delivers affording working results and comes in a pair.
- Extremely effective against metal and plastic surfaces
- Adjustable tension for the blade
- Range of different blades available
- A 12-inch blade is highly effective for various cutting applications
- Not very effective while working in tight corners
Why do we like it?
We loved the fact that you can adjust the tension of its blade and vary it according to the cutting project at hand.
4. Bora Portamate Speehorse Sawhorses Pair
- Weight Capacity: 1500 lbs
- Material: Metal Top and Aluminum Legs
- Weight: 17.9 pounds
- Dimensions: L 45-inch x W 3.25-inch x H 31.5-inch
This is a another heavy-duty option that costs a bit more but certainly won’t disappoint. This option does come with 2 sawhorses that are build to be heavy-duty and provide for your needs. It is one of the best sawhorses on the market but it’s not from a known brand name and there’s limited information to stand behind just yet.
These folding sawhorses won’t let you down with their adjustable legs and folding maneuver that makes the sawhorses quite compact for transport. These sawhorses are also equipped with a quick-release setup that makes unfolding it just as simply as folding it.
These have a heavy-duty weight capacity with the ability to support weight up to 2,000 pounds. These sawhorses also have a pre-drilled top so you can screw in other boards to make a tabletop. They have support arms for your 2 x 4’s as well.
The size of this hack saw is pretty large, so ergonomically, it is going to be very useful for you. But handling it in tight spaces is not going to work very well. The blade adjustment is pretty simple with the knob too.
- Quality sawhorses from a lesser-known brand
- Folding sawhorses for easy transport
- Heavy-duty weight allowance
- Can be easily turned into a tabletop
- Quick-release technology for easy setup
- There are reports that some of the metal bends easily
- The legs sometimes jam when folded in
Why do we like it?
Coming from a brand that most people don’t know well, these are a great option for a reasonable price. They come as a pair and they are built to be simple and heavy-duty. There are a few flaws the company needs to work out but overall the quality is worth the price.
5. Stanley Folding Sawhorses 2-Pack
- Weight Capacity: 1000 lbs
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: 12.5 pounds.
- Dimensions: L 27.3 -inch x W 4.2-inch x H 32-inch.
Here is another simply saw horse option brought to us from Stanley. Stanley is a reliable tool company that many people turn to for construction and tool needs. They provide some of the best solutions for saw and saw tools on the market and these sawhorses fit the bill.
These are another lightweight option of folding sawhorses. They fold flat for storage and are easily free standing when set up. These are made with heavy-duty plastic materials rather than steel or aluminum. They have anti-slip rubber on both the top and the feet for additional safety.
This is one of the best saw horse options for light duty use. It has the shelf when it’s folded out and it also has cord hooks that are a nice addition to the unit. It has the cut outs on top so you can set 2 x 4’s for a tabletop setting as well. The official listed weight capacity is 1,000 pounds.
- Reliable tool company with quality products
- Lightweight folding tables
- Includes shelf and hooks
- Maximum weight capacity of 1,000 pounds
- Anti-slip rubber feet
- Best for light-duty use
- Limited reliable information as far as reviews go
Why do we like it?
There is very little information from tried and true users of this product so it’s hard to get a good read on the overall quality without physically testing these saw horses. However, what we do know is that Stanley is a reliable tool company. These appear to be well-built and simple to work with.
5 DIY Saw Horse Ideas
Interested in DIY ideas? Our guide on the 5 DIY Saw Horse Ideas is perfect for you.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Sawhorses
Now that we’ve shared out top picks it may be helpful to you to have some tips to base your purchasing decision off of. Whether you already know exactly what you’re looking for or you need some inspiration, we’re here to help you out. Saw horses are typically meant to serve as a work stand for projects of some sort.
The best sawhorse could be different for you than it is for your neighbor. We have some relevant tips and features to be aware of to help you in your journey for choosing your best option.
One of the things you will want to pay attention to is the weight capacity. Most sawhorses are designed to hold 1,000 or more lbs. but you will still want to pay attention. Even though some will hold what they say, they may not hold up for extended periods so just be mindful of the material of which they are made and whether that number is reliable.
Be sure to choose a sawhorse pair that will hold the weight you need. If in doubt, we recommend choosing something heavy-duty that will accommodate hefty sizes.
Portability and Storage
One thing you may want to keep in mind is the storage space you have for your sawhorses. Think of this in relation to whether or not you need them to be portable or not. Some options have folding legs that turn them into only 2.5 inches in height packed into the tabletop.
Just be sure that you understand the storage and portability features. Some sawhorses also offer additional storage like hooks and shelves, which makes a nice feature as well.
If you understand the basics of a sawhorse, you know that at one time they were wood planks that were held together by hinges. They were considerable in size and they often had to be taken apart or transported awkwardly. Sawhorses have come a long way since that time.
You know that the basic function is to provide you a stable work surface. However, there are some additional features that you may want to consider as they come in handy. Here are a few things to think about.
- Does the sawhorse come fully assembled?
- Built-in shelf
- Lightweight aluminum construction (heavy-duty and lightweight)
- Clamping sawhorse features
- Durability of materials
- Saw settings
How to Use a Sawhorse
We’ve covered the topic what is a sawhorse in basic but it’s important that you understand how to use a sawhorse as well. Sawhorses are used as a working surface. They often hold wood for things like cutting but they can be reliable for far more than that.
Using a sawhorse is pretty simple. You just need to position them in a stable and sturdy manner. Make sure they aren’t wobbly and that they are unfolded and set up how you need them to be before putting anything on them. How far you space them can vary depending on what you’re doing.
You can also turn the space into a table by placing a piece of plywood over the tops or add 2 x 4’s to the sides.
How Tall are Sawhorses?
Most saw horses are built to stand somewhere between 26 and 32 inches. It can vary by model so check the one you are purchasing for specific details. Many of them also have adjustable legs so you can change the height as needed.
What is a Sawhorse Used For?
By definition, a sawhorse is used to support boards while you saw them. However, they are versatile and can be used in many different ways as a workspace.
What is a Sawhorse?
A sawhorse is a support beam that stands atop legs (usually 4 legs). This beam is used as a scaffold or work table, originally intended to support boards and planks during the cutting or sawing process. Sawhorses can be turned into a table space. They can also be moved around to be used as needed and wherever you need them.
Originally, the sawhorse was made with wood planks that were long and heavy. They were supported by more wood, setup in leg-style and hinged to the planks to make them stand. They are quite unique and they have advanced through the years.
Whether you’re in the market for your first saw horses or you’re looking for some new ones, there are many great options that we’ve shared here. You’re bound to find something you like and that will work for your needs. Everything shared in our reviews rightfully earned its place among our top picks.
Our favorite overall is the DeWalt option while the best budget pick is the ToughBuilder option. However, no matter what you choose, they are all great and reliable options to add to your project.
- 6 INCH HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT: The working height of the Speedhorse XT adjusts from 30 to 36 inches in 1 inch increments with the intuitive slide and lock technology. This allows you to work at the right height to make your project easier and work more efficiency!
- JOB SITE READY: Individual leg height adjustment on the Speedhorse XT allows you to compensate for uneven ground to ensure a stable workbench table or cutting station.
- 1.6 SECOND SET-UP: The Bora Portamate Speedhorse XT is part of the Bora Speehorse family, which is the are the sawhorses on the market with lever quick-release deploy technology, offering instant setup and teardown that is 30x faster than conventional sawhorses
- BEST-IN-CLASS CAPACITY: Adjustable stand that can support up to 1500 lbs, each giving them a combined capacity of 3000 lbs. The extra-long length pre-drilled top of 45 inches provides maximum stability. Come ready to use and no assembly is needed.
- NON-SEQUENTIAL LEG FOLDING: To tear down your worksite, just pull the levers on each end and fold the legs up. Unlike standard sawhorses, It doesn't matter which leg is folded first.
- [CUSTOM MADE CLAMPS] These two sawhorses come with integrated bar clamps to fasten big or small projects securely in both vertical and horizontal positions
- [LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO MOVE] At only 4 lbs. each, you can toss them into the back of a vehicle or store them in the corner in-between projects
- [SUPPORTS 1000 LBS] And the clamps provide up to 300 lbs. of pressure. Hold heavy projects securely in place for as long as you need
- [STORAGE SHELF] On the bottom of these sawhorses we’ve made a place to hold a power strip or supplies. Give your workspace an extra shelf or more storage
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
- Gripping teeth - set up requires no screws or nails
- Make a sawhorse whatever length you want by using any 2x lumber
- 1/8-inch thick welded steel construction
- Sawhorse legs self-level to any terrain
- Lifetime guarantee