Finding the right band saw out there can change the way you practice woodworking. Whether you are a carpenter or practicing woodworking as a hobby, finding the right band saw for you is important. There are many different aspects to a band saw such as weight, size, power, and cost. These factors play a part in the ideal saw. Luckily, we are here to help you sift through the top-rated band saws.
The top-rated band saws have different pros and cons. It can take hours sifting through the band saw reviews online and be stressful. Whether you are a professional carpenter with years of experience or this is your first time researching band saws, do not worry. You won’t have to waste time going to several different websites. All the information you need is right here. We will go over what you need to look out for and what benefits some of the best band saws have over others.
View The 5 Best Band Saws on the Market Below
1. Wen 3962 Two Speed Band Saw
The Wen 3962 band saw offers a variety of features to rave about for an affordable price. First of all, the accuracy of this band saw is spot on allowing for a clean cut every time. If you are a beginner and you have never assembled a saw before, this is the one to go with. The Wen 3962 features easy assembly that won’t leave you frustrated from the start. This ensures that by the time you have this band saw in your home, you can start your projects in no time. There are many that try to compare the Ryobi band saw reviews to this one, and this bottom line is that the Wen 3962 stacks up against the competition in terms of reliability and cost (the Wen includes a stand).
As far as a band saw goes, it features various blade options so any project is possible. The table of the band saw can just up to 45 degrees to the right which allows for precise and accurate cutting every time. This is why the Wen 2962 s one of our top-rated band saws.
One key feature of the Wen 3962 is its wide range of accessories for the affordable price. This band saw offers a 3 in 1 dust port to assure that several dust port hoses can fit. The band saw offers a movable working light so you can always illuminate your workspace. Additionally, a 25-inch stand allows you to elevate the band saw and is one of the sturdiest on the market.
Overall, the Wen 3962 Band Saw weighs 73 pounds, measures out to 10 inches, and can cut up to 6 inches deep. This band saw is the best band saw for the money but also offers a high-quality experience. The blade can have blades anywhere from 72 inches all the way to 1/8 inch blades. This is a powerful band saw featuring a 3.5 amp motor and offering 2 speeds at 1520 FPM or 2620 FPM.
- Accuracy and precision
- Easy to assemble
- Variety of dust port sizes
- Functional with wide range of band sizes
- Small compared to other band saws
- Difficult to adjust
- Can’t withstand excessive use, not the best for professionals
2. SKIL 3386-01 9-inch Band Saw
If you are looking specifically for a porter cable band saw review, we are going to go in-depth on the benefits of the SKIL 3386-019 inch Band Saw. The SKIL 3386-01 9-inch Band Saw is a great band saw for those who are newer to woodworking and looking to start somewhere without breaking the bank. The SKIL is our top pick for the best band saw under $500. This band saw is a fantastic, powerful tool that is lightweight but can complete a multitude of projects. For the amount of power it gives, it is quiet this way your neighbors won’t hear you working on late-night projects.
The main features include a miter gauge for accurate cross-cutting and a rip fence for straight precise cuts. The band saw comes with a 6-TPI blade. It can accustom blades from 1/8 inch to 59 inches. It features lots of power for a small band saw coming in at 120 volts and 38 pounds.
The band saw table is adjustable to a 45-degree angle to ensure that your work can be done and a variety of angles to ensure the best cut possible. It features EZ view blade tracking component for improved accuracy compared to other band saws.
Overall, we love the SKIL 3386-01 9 -inch band saw because it is a great bang for your buck and is a suitable band saw for those who need a lot of power in a small workspace. It is easy to use for a novel woodworker who plans on starting small.
- Perfect for a novice woodworker
- Rip wence and a miter gauge for accurate cutting
- Easy to manuever
- Very affordable
- Motor works hard but gets very hot
- Difficult to adjust
- Not great for bigger projects done by professionals
3. Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Band Saw
One of the most powerful band saws on the market, the Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe band saw can truly handle any project. This complex and adaptable bandsaw allows for those who have some experience with bandsaws to dive deep into their projects.
This sturdy band saw weighs in at 247 pounds and offers over 12 inches of resaw capability. The grizzly offers the best band saw blade for resawing. The band saw itself is 14 inches wide and The grizzly G0555LX is a powerful partner that can complete jus about any project you put it up against. It is one of the pricier band saws on the market ringing in at just under $750 but will give valuable results for the price.
Even for the more novel woodworkers, the grizzly G0555LX is relatively straight forward to set up with the minimal hassle. It is currently one of the best woodworking band saws on the market. The grizzly G0555LX offers an easy and clean cut with no fuss. Compared to other band saws, this one requires minimal to no adjustments and getting used to. With its power, it can cut through just about anything. The Grizzly is the best band saw for metal, due to its power and shear strength. Its durability comes from its cast-iron frame that can withstand years of use. This band saw is not going anywhere that is for sure.
We love the grizzly G0555LX due to its strong, durable base and ability to take on anything, this is why it is one of our top-rated band saws. . Especially if you are someone that uses a band saw on a daily occurrence, the grizzly is the best band saw for this.
- Durable and powerful to complete any project
- Great for those who use band saws every day
- Features over 12 inches of resaw capability
- Cast iron table that lasts years
- Expensive compared to others
- May be difficult or too powerful for novice woodworkers
- Very heavy to move around
- Dust port isn’t always reliable
4. Rikon 10-305 Band Saw
Featuring a solid steel design, the Rikon 10-305 is a sturdy and reliable band saw. The rikon 10-305 runs smoothly for an easily achievable straight cut with relatively no adjustments needed. This band saw is easily adjustable from one blade to the next to allows you to get projects done with minor hiccups throughout the process.
The rikon 10-305 features a tilting table that can tilt at a 45-degree angle. In addition, it has a 2-inch tall fence for easy guiding while cutting. This band saw weighs in at 76 pounds for a sturdy but maneuverable cast iron table band saw. It is an effective band saw for many different projects however not for extremely large ones. Its horsepower goes up to .33 HP which can really pack a punch.
Its resaw ability features 4 5/8″ capability and 2-1/2″ dust port for convenient cleanup. It is ideal for the craftsman who isn’t necessarily trying to complete massive projects. However, it is for the craftsman that needs a reliable and sturdy band saw for small to medium-sized projects. This band saw is ideal for those who need to store and move their band saw more frequently than others.
We highly recommend the rikon 10-305 band saw for those that want a smaller band saw but don’t want to compromise on a flimsy table due to its smaller size. This saw offers a high quality cast iron table that most 10″ saws cannot offer. Additionally, if you are a woodworker who must store away their band saw from time to time, this is an ideal saw for you.
- Sturdy cast-iron table
- Easy to use for novel woodworkers
- Great bang for your buck
- Accurate and consistent, not flimsy
Related: Wen 3962 Vs. Rikon 10-305
- Doesn’t include a miter gauge
- No stand included
- Not great for large projects
5. JET JWBS-14DXPRO Band Saw
This adaptable, wide-range JET JWBS-14DXPRO band saw is reliable and heavy-duty. This saw can complete the full range of projects with its 12″ resaw capability and two-speed option. This band saw adapts to whatever project you need to get done whether you are a handyman or a novel woodworker.
The JET JWBS-14DXPRO is ideal for those who have a wide variety of projects and want a sturdy band saw that can do just about anything you put it through. In terms of safety features, this saw takes the gold medal. It features a built-in retractable blade guard. Additionally, it features an easy-view blade tracking window so you always know where you are cutting with no hesitation. This saw ensures for a safe cutting experience while using its high powered accuracy and precision.
Adjustments can be made quickly if needed, as this saw features a poly-v belt and quick-release blade tension. Both of these features allow for a flexible and quick ability to adjust the material during any project.
Lastly, it is a hefty and heavy-duty saw featuring a cast-iron table that is durable for someone who frequently uses their bandsaw. Although this is not the most affordable option, ringing in at just over $1000, the JET JWBS-14DXPRO offers long-lasting reliability and versatility for any sort of project.
- 12 inch re-saw capability
- Many safety features including easy-view blade tracking window
- Extremely reliable and precise for several years, cast-iron table
- Includes a stand
- Expensive ringing in at slightly over $1000
- Rip fence not included
- Doesn’t come with a great quality blade
Interested in scroll saws too? Our guide on scroll saw vs band saw is perfect for you.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Band Saw Blades in 2022
Band Saw Buyers Guide
If you are wondering what exactly to look out for when investing in a new band saw, we’ve got you covered. These are the qualities you should understand when it comes to buying any band saw on the market.
Whether you are a novice woodworker or a seasoned professional, it is always important to prioritize safety. This means that the band saw should have various features to ensure safe usage.
Some of the following safety features to look out for:
- Blade tracking window
- Blade guide
- Blade guard
- Quick-release blade Tension
These various features on a saw can help give you peace of mind when cutting materials. The Blade tracking window will help you clearly watch your every cut. The blade guide will help ensure your material is being but where you intend to. The blade guard will protect your fingers from the blade itself. And lastly, a band saw that allows for quick-release blade tension is ideal to ensure the blade is taught enough while cutting.
Rip Fence and Miter Gauge
These two features are very useful when using a band saw. Especially, if you are a novice in the woodworking field, these can help improve accuracy and precision without must practice.
A rip fence can help resaw materials easily without much recoil. In addition, a fence can improve the capability to saw through pieces of wood that may otherwise be deformed or warped. If you are someone that is new to band saws, this could be a great feature to look for in a new band saw. It could help save time and frustration in the long run when resawing boards into smaller pieces.
A miter gauge helps keep your material in place especially when cutting at an angle. Many saws feature the ability to angle the table up to 45 degrees. Unfortunately, as humans, we only have two hands and this is where the miter gauge comes in. It fastens the material in place while cutting at various angles. More precisely miter gauges help with cross-cuts.
Both of these features are important to consider when buying a band saw. When these features come included, it is a useful tool that is already modified to fit your band saw.
For someone who is a novice, this is a convenient feature that can be included and doesn’t require set up or a vast-knowledge of woodworking to reap the benefits. Even for those who have a solid working knowledge of woodworking, it can be a hassle trying to set up your own rip fences and miter gauges. Finding a band saw that includes these features is a great bonus.
Weight of the Band Saw
The heftiest and most durable type of table is a cast-iron table. However, there are many pros and cons that come along with a cast-iron featured table.
Many band saws out there feature a long-lasting cast iron table. When these tables are put to the test, they outlast their competition by a long shot. This means that many band saws that feature a cast iron table are durable and can take a quite high usage.
So, cast iron tables are durable, but this comes with another consideration. Iron is a heavy material that can be highly difficult to pick up and transport by yourself. If you are someone who needs to store and transport your band saw often, a cast iron table may be your worst nightmare. Although iron is high quality and long-lasting base to work on, it can be a headache and a backache to move if you will need to do that often.
In general, it is important to consider if you are going to be someone who would prefer a lighter weight band saw. Weight can vary from 200 pounds down to only 38 pounds. Lighter weight saws can be deemed as more flimsy but there are good quality lightweight band saws out there. However, the highest quality band saws will most likely include a bit of weight. It is important to consider what your band saw usage will look like.
Project Size and Frequency
This is one of the more important considerations to make when looking for a band saw. First off, you must imagine what type of projects you have the intention to complete. Additionally, think about how often you will be using a band saw.
When considering the size of band saws, they vary depending on their capabilities. Band saws that are less than 10 inches are best for smaller sized projects. These saws most likely cannot handle cutting heavy metal and big pieces of wood. Band saws that are around 10″ are perfect for medium projects and possibly some larger projects. Band saws around 14 inches are perfect for those who intend to cut large materials using their saws.
Additionally, it is important to consider how often you will be using the band saw. If it is going to be for more occasional, causal usage then there is no point in investing thousands of dollars into a saw that will collect dust. Maybe consider buying a movable saw that won’t take up space in your work-space.
On the contrary, if you would consider yourself as a professional woodworker or a frequent hobbyist then buy a saw that will ensure durability. Frequent usage could quickly tarnish and burn out saws that aren’t durable and sturdy. Some saws can only cut through smaller projects and don’t feature an iron work-space. Finding a band saw that has a solid base (weighs more) and has a higher FPM can withstand heavy usage.
If you are someone who doesn’t know exactly what type of projects you will be completed in the future, it will most likely be to your benefit to get a band saw size around 10-12 inches. This is a versatile starting point that can do a wide range of projects and most likely won’t break the bank.
We Think You’ll Like: What is a Band Saw Used For?
Frequently Asked Questions
When deciding which band saw to buy, it can be overwhelming and there may still be some lingering questions. We will cover common questions you might have about purchasing a band saw.
Does every band saw include a miter gauge and fence?
No, not every saw will come with a miter gauge and fence. If you are someone who would like more control and accurate cuts, these features may be of some help. If saws do not include a miter gauge and fence, then you will have to buy them separately. Adding on a miter gauge and fence can be difficult to figure out but it can be done separately.
Can I use any size blade with my band saw?
It depends on what your band saw is adaptable to. Before you buy, look and see what blade sizes are allowed with the band saw. A good quality band saw can have a wide range of sizes. Some band saws start at around 1/8″ and go all the way up to 70 inches. Make sure to look at what the band saw can support before you buy it.
Do band saws come with a blade already included?
For the most part, band saws come with a blade already. However, many times these blades are not the best quality and don’t cut as well as separately purchased blades. You may want to consider this in the final cost of your band saw. You may end up buying a higher quality blade after you use the saw for the first time. Here’s a detailed guide on band saw blades.
We Think You’ll Like: Scroll Saw vs Band Saw – Which One Should You Buy?
Whether you are looking to do small projects or big projects, or you are a novice or professional, it is important to choose the right band saw for you. There are many different considerations to take into account features, weight, and cost. Finding the right band saw for you can be stressful, but hopefully, this guide has eased some of the stress by narrowing down what you should look out for.
Look out for band saws that don’t include a stand. Many band saws don’t come with one included, and it can be exciting to receive a band saw, but disappointing when you think there will be a stand. There are band saws that come with a stand included, so if you are hoping to have one make sure it doesn’t come at an extra surprise cost!
Did You Know?
Band saws were invented in the early 1800s by a man from England. The band saw wasn’t introduced to America until the late 19th century and took a long time to evolve. For a long period of time, there was a foot pedal that pumped the band saw to move quickly to cut material. Talk about coordination!
- Volts DC: 18
- Type: Band Saw, Bare Tool
- 1100W Powerful Pure Copper Motor: Industry best 10 amp motor designed with controlled power to withstand any jobsite application. Cutting steel will not produce sparks, no burrs, and the cut incision is smooth with no burns. Fits for cutting metal ,steel, aluminum, composite cables, angle iron, PVC pipe and so on.
- The Cutting Capacity: without base :5-by- 4-3/4 In. deep-cut capacity for rectangular stock, 5 In. capacity for round stock , with base: 4-by- 3-1/5 In. deep-cut capacity for rectangular stock, 4 In. capacity for round stock. Variable-speed dial, 100-350 feet per minute, for specific materials and various applications
- Superior balance allows for more accurate cuts.Ergonomic soft grip back handle provides comfort during use. Serviceable steel shroud and rubber bumpers allow guards to withstand jobsite abuse. The saw blade guard can be adjusted to protect the saw blade from jamming and safer without hurting your hands.
- Upgraded new type 45°-90° Cutting with Removable Alloy Steel Base: The handheld bandsaw base weights 6.6kg/14.6 lb and also can be Swiveled angle from 0 - 45°. It is easy to disassemble the base. With this workbench base, you can keep the cutting material does not slide, safe and convenient. Especially for precision cutting work.
- About Band Saw Blades: Intalled with a .02-by-44-7/8-Inch 14 TPI blade and it is common found and you can buy same size blade as replacement in future. The saw blade has a long service life, and one saw blade is equal to 5 grinding wheels. You can install 3 kinds of saw blades, TPI10-14, TPI14-18, TPI24, choose different saw blades according to different materials in future.
- Powerful and Efficient - 3A powerful low noise induction motor band saw with 2500FPM blade speed and 1720RPM motor speed. The band saw adopts heat dissipation system to extend the service life. You don't have to worry about cutting back and forth due to low power, and the cutting surface is neat. It can slow down the vibration more than the ordinary band saw.
- Sharp and Quick - The blade size of bandsaw is length: 59-1/2 inches, width: 1/8 ~ 3/8 inches. The maximum cutting depth is 3-1/2 inches, and the maximum cutting width is 9 inches.With strong and sharp blade and powerful 3A induction motor, band saw can cut different types of wood and soft metal accurately and quickly at the speed of 1720RPM.
- Accurate and Multi Angle - Band Saws for Wood has a sturdy cast aluminum table tilting from 0°to 45°with 120°miter gauge. Rip fence for straight, accurate cuts. Band saw can cut straight line, curve and multi angle, which is an ideal choice for woodworking. Bandsaw for woodworking table size: 12-5/16" x 11-7/8".
- Safe and Stable - Double safety switch forms a double security protection. Removing the safety lock when not in use ensures safety. Sturdy steel base to prevent any heavy vibration. 2-1/2" dust exhaust port and dust brush of saw wheel make your jobsite cleaner, reduce dust inhalation, and extend the service life of the band saw.
- Warranty: Woodskil always puts quality and customer satisfaction at the core, we will provide 2 years warranty, if you have any question, please feel free to contact us! Tip：for your safety and smarter use of this product, please read the manul carefully before use, and be sure to keep the manul.